"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Arrival and Settling In

I arrived in Istanbul this past Friday around 2pm Istanbul time, 6am Chicago time. Thanks to an 8 hour time difference between Chicago and Istanbul and 16 hours of travel, I walked out of the airport feeling like a zombie. Luckily one of the girls I am working for, Liz, was waiting for me at the airport to take me to our apartment. We live in an area called Taksim - on the European side of Istanbul. Pulling my bags down the street, I noticed how surprisingly Westernized the area was. A Pizza Hut, Jimmy's Fried Chicken, and McDonalds are right around the corner from my apartment. I was also immediately impessesd by the kindness of the people after a few strangers stopped what they were doing to help me with my bag - one of the wheels broke off in transit.

There is a very steep hill leading down to my building, which lies right next to the German embassy. The apartment is a very nice, hotel-esque, 2-bedroom with a separate kitchen, living/dining room, and bathroom. I was happy to find a nice thick roll of toilet paper, thanks to my Uncles warning that people here don't use it. I spent the first few hours unpacking until my roommate Jill arrived. She's from Minnesota, and I don't think us midwestern girls will have any problems living together. The two women who Jill and I are working for live on the top floor of the same building. They have an amazing terrace where we will all be doing a lot of our work from home. From the terrace there is an amazing view of the Marmara Sea, and a huge bridge that links Europe to Asia.

Friday night the four of us went out to dinner in Taksim, the busy, crowded, hip, international area we live in. I think vibrant is probably the best word to describe what the atmosphere is like walking around the streets. We started out down a pedestrian only street near Taksim. It's lined with many stores that can also be found on the Magnificent Mile, ie: Levi, Guess, but also many unfamiliar European brands. The street is packed with people. Some are out to "see and be seen" while others are on their way to restaurants and clubs. Right now Ramazan (Ramadan in other countries), the 30-day Islamic holy month, is coming to an end, so many people are out celebrating at night. The side streets are lined with Turkish restaurants that have tables out on the sidewalk as well as people sitting up on multiple levels and the roof. Rooftops are very popular here. Almost every restaurant has at least 3 levels and a rooftop area. Of course we aimed to get to the highest rooftop - not an easy task with the many restaurant owners outside trying to wrangle us confused looking American girls into their establishment. We landed on a semi-high rooftop where there was a fun 3-man band walking around the tables playing Turkish music. People really started to get into it towards the end of our meal and their drinks. I plan on learning these Turkish drinking songs eventually :)

After sitting down and ordering drinks, the waiter brings a large tray with many smaller dishes to the table. From these you can view and pick the appetizers you would like to start with, such as hummus, cucumber spread, etc. After eating these with bread you order the main dish. So far Turkish food is great - very similar to the Mediterranean food served in the States. After dinner Friday night I was wiped out having been awake for around 36 hours. We called it an early night.

I am lucky to be here with people who have traveled all over the world and have friends all over the place. Saturday we took a ferry to one of the Princess islands called Buyukada (big island). No cars are allowed on any of the Princess islands an
d they are only recommended for people to visit if they have a house there. Well, as luck goes, we were invited to Buyukada by a new Turkish friend with a house on the island. I spent my first full day sitting on a terrace overlooking the Marmara Sea with the other 3 girls and our new Turkish friend. It was beautiful and a very relaxing way to start the trip.



Right now it's Sunday afternoon. It has been pouring all day so there is not a lot to do but hang out around the apartment. The power has been dimming on and off so I'm crossing my fingers it won't go off all together. Day 1 of work starts tomorrow! I'll try to update my blog everyday from here on out.

Finally, I am very happy to share with everyone that I am writing this blog while drinking a grande vanilla latte from the Starbucks up the street and listening to country radio with a yankee candle burning. Life is an adventure :) Have a great day! XO

No comments:

Post a Comment